12 settembre 2016

UN AMERICANO A ROMA (parte seconda)

Non poteva mancare il racconto di come Tony ha trascorso la sera di domenica. E' un punto di vista che ci potrebbe aiutare a riflettere. Se  ne è accorto un americano  com'è che non ce ne accorgiamo noi, o almeno chi amministra Roma?
 
 
 
My friend Mimmo came to my hotel. He has lived in Rome for over 40 years and knows the city very, very well.

It was 7:30 PM when we left. Mimmo took me on a long walk through the Monti district of Rome - centered in the historical district not far, on one side, from the Coliseum.

As we walked, Mimmo pointed out interesting buildings and palaces. I have not seen so many restaurants!

We stopped in a plaza and did some people watching. He pointed to a small Ukrainian church. We went inside before we left. Very beautiful and in the Byzantine style.

We had supper at a local trattoria. I did not take any pictures. Mimmo had a pizza and I had a filet with a side of cicorie (wild dandelions) sautéed  I olive oil, garlic, and pepperoncino.

We circled back stopping by a wall overlooking the Coliseum and the construction of the additional underground line.

It was a magnificent view of the Arc of Tito and other Roman ruins.

Back to the hotel, I bid Mimmo goodbye and returned to my room.

Once in my room I controlled my I-Watch. I had walked today almost 6 miles.

I felt great to be in my native country. I am grateful for the many blessings in my life.

Reflections About Rome

Rome is a unique city. Home to 4.5 millions; it welcomes some 40 million annual visitors. Almost 10 times its population.

There are many layers to the city, often hidden from the casual traveler. You have Ancient Rome, Medieval Rome, the Christian Rome, the Modern Rome, and several variations thereof.

Mimmo told me that it takes five years to really get to know the city.

Italy has 75% of the world cultural sites. It struggles economically and logistically in maintaining  this super rich patrimony.

Often visitors criticize Rome for being noisy, dirty, disorganized, polluted, and in need of repairs.

While some of these criticisms are warranted, one needs to keep the context in mind.

The resources of a 4.5 million city are woefully not enough to clean up after so many visitors who are mostly responsible for the empty cans, bottles, cigarette butts, fast food wrappers etc. that litter the streets.

A city that feeds 40 million visitors needs thousands off restaurants and hotels. A city that transports so many needs a complex transportation system.

Roma is trying! We can all help her too.

Tony Tasca








Nessun commento:

Posta un commento