11 settembre 2016

UN AMERICANO A ROMA (parte prima)

 Il nostro amico Tony è a Roma. Quella che segue è la cronaca di come ha trascorso la domenica.
Più americano di così........
 
 
SUNDAY IN ROME
 
I was up at 8. After showering and breakfast, I headed to Via Nazionale.

I checked for the nearest LDS church. I found three, but they were far from the historical center where I am staying.

It  was 10. Most stores do not open until noon on Sunday. I checked the time of the Eucharist at the Church of Saint Paul Inside the Walls, the Anglican Church in Rome. Services start at 10:30, enough time to go to the coffee shop across the road and have a decaf espresso.

I have been in this church numerous times. It is small when compared to the major basilicas, but it is big enough to accommodate 300-400 folks. Today, I counted less than 50.

About 10 were Black, 2 Asians, 4 toddlers, Noreen avers. The majority was female. The presiding priest was a young, good looking American of Hispanic descent. He was assisted by a monk and a nun.

The services started on time. I began to follow the program. The liturgy was familiar -- close to the Catholic and Orthodox Churches.

After the reading from Thimothy 1:12-17 the congregation sang the hymn: Savior like a Shepard Lead Us. This hymn is known as the hymn of the Sicilian Mariners. I was not familiar with either the text or music, but I took it as an omen from the Lord. I was grateful to have discovered this special prayer.

Non-members were encouraged to join in during the communion by crossing their arms on their chests and receive a blessing. I joined others and I was moved by the blessing I received, a total stranger from this young and charismatic priest.

Just before the communion and after many scripted prayers, congregants were encouraged to exchange greetings with those around you. Many came to shake my hand; I likewise searched many to shake theirs. I found this ritual moving and welcome.

Today we commemorate 9/11 when our world changed forever. I was reminded that 95-98% of people around the world are people of good will, and that it is a grave error to label all Muslims as terrorists.

I found the service centering. I need to get in touch with our Lord for I am not as devout as need to be, and I do have many idiosyncrasies and foibles.

After the service I went on my walk - approximately 3 miles. It is routine for me to make my customary visit to Campo de' Fiori. It is the well known open air market for which Rome is known. It is also a place where in the mid 1500's people were burned alive accused of being heretics. It is also a place where ethnic cleansing reared its ugly head. The Torah and other religious books were burned. A bronze plaque commemorates this event in Italian and Hebrew.

After drinking a freshly squeezed pomegranate juice I walked around shooting some pictures.

I then stopped Da Fortunata for lunch in honor of my friends Gino and Luigi. The place is renowned for the fresh pasta. I am not fond of fresh pasta, I prefer dry pasta - easy to digest, not as heavy. I ordered tagiolini with fresh tomatoes and basil and as dessert the famous panna cotta.

Satisfied, I grabbed a cab and returned to my hotel.

Tony Tasca





Nessun commento:

Posta un commento